Did you know the health of your body and mind relies on the health of your gut?
According to Kevin Kunkel M.A. (http://akashacenter.com/our-team/kevin-kunkel/)
- Nearly 80% of one’s immune system is in the gut, placing a large responsibility on our gut for fighting diseases, infections, and illnesses
- Nearly 90% of the sleep and mood-regulating neurotransmitter Serotonin is made in the gut
- The digestive system controls our metabolism and our ability to absorb the vitamins and nutrients critical for our health and energy level
- The gut and brain are intimately connected, with stored emotions, stress, and lethargy in the gut constantly sending signals to influence our perceptions and feelings throughout our day
Mornings have a direct affect our physical and mental disposition throughout the day. Below are helpful habits to try every morning that help get the gut going:
- A tummy massage
- Pick a flat, comfortable, yet supportive, surface to lay down on where you can be quiet and undistracted for 10-12 minutes. Bend your knees and begin by breathing. Glide your finger pads around your belly button making a full circle in a clockwise direction. Continue to make incrementally widening circles as you move around the belly button until you have met the rim of the rib cage, hips, and pubic bone. Then repeat!
- Drink warm water with lemon
- Make yourself a balanced breakfast
- Here are a few breakfast suggestions: Yogurt, Almonds, Berries, Bananas, Dark Chocolate, Pineapple, Kiwi, Chia Seeds, Ground Flaxseeds, Probiotic Drinks.
- Have a happy poop time
- Restoring Intestinal Flora Leads to a Healthy Gut and Happy Poop
Simple, right! Now go have yourself a healthy and fruitful morning!